It’s no secret that roasting a whole chicken (or picking one up at the store) can be a money-saving way to feed your family. In fact, you can get 2-3 meals out of a decent sized (think 4-5 pounds) chicken if you plan it right. What do I make with the leftovers so that my family doesn’t rebel out of boredom? Chicken Nachos is one of my family’s favorite leftover meals. I like it because it’s ready in a few minutes. They like it because they feel like they get to eat “junk food” for dinner. I’m not saying that nachos are the healthiest dinner. You can make them a little lighter by using baked chips, real cheese instead of the fake stuff, and sneak in a few veggies like black beans, fresh tomatoes, and others. Chicken nachos are also an easy appetizer, or something you can share at a party. Did you know that November 6 is National Nacho day? Whip up a batch of these and celebrate!
For this batch, I mixed it up with both blue and yellow chips. Everyone in my family is an avocado fan, so that was a no-brainer. I went to make guacamole, but I was out of cilantro. Guacamole isn’t the same without cilantro. Another trick I use is to layer the chips, adding some chicken and black beans under the shredded cheese. I then melt each layer for a few minutes so that there will still be toppings on the chips as you work your way to the bottom of the plate. I kept this batch mild, but sliced jalapenos or other spicy toppings take it up a notch. Another trick~ whisk the sour cream so that it “drizzles” over the nachos instead of coming out in one big plop in the middle of the plate. Voice of experience here. Nobody likes a huge pile of sour cream with nothing else. And, if your family is like mine, everyone wants at least a little sour cream. 😉
Here’s the recipe! Enjoy!
- 1/2 bag yellow corn tortilla chips
- 1/2 bag blue corn tortilla chips
- 6-8 ounces shredded cheese (sharp cheddar, Colby-jack, hot pepper, or your favorite)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, diced (or 1 cup of your favorite salsa)
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1 avocado, diced (or make some guacamole)
- 1/2 cup sour cream, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use a plate that can go into the oven.
- Layer some of the chips on the plate, and top with some of the chicken, black beans, and shredded cheese.
- Slide plate into the oven until the cheese melts, 3 or 4 minutes.
- Remove plate from the oven. Repeat 2-3 more times, melting the cheese with each layer.
- Save the sour cream and veggies to top the plate after all the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.