There’s one thing no one tells you when you’re little as you play with your dolls and dream about babies of your own. Motherhood’s not glamorous. In fact, unless you’re ready to be pooped on, talked back to and challenged on a daily basis, you’re not ready. That’s the truth and that’s why I like FX’s Better Things.
The show premiered last week and it gives an honest look at being a middle-aged mother of three kids, including a teen. While Sam’s a single mom and I can’t really relate to that, I couldn’t stop but laugh when I watched the trailers. We’ve all had those moments when we’d love to stop in the pillow aisle and scream into one? Right? It’s an honest depiction that when it comes to parenting, the struggle is real (and so is Better Things)
Take aging. It’s going to happen to all of us but it’s so realistic when her teenage daughter says, “is this going to happen to me?” and the mom says, “no, just me.” I’ve had interactions with my teen like this. Just the other day, she needed to see my hand for a drawing project. She declared it “too wrinkly.” Just wait my dear. One day, you’ll have wrinkles too. Your boobs will sag and you’ll get upstairs and forget why you’re there. It will happen and when it does, I’ll be here for you.
Check out the Better Things swag I just got in the mail. I made the mistake of showing my teen. We’re at the stage now where what’s mine is hers and what’s hers is hers if you know what I mean.
• Ray-Ban Sunglasses (my teen has already tried to claim these reminding me I wear a prescription)
• Chipolo bluetooth keyring (I need this because I’m old and can’t find my keys)
• Leather Clutch for mom’s things (Love this!)
• Emergency Beauty Kit (I think my teen has this in her backpack now)
• Hypoallergenic travel pillow with an Ultra-Soft travel pillow protector (my teen claimed this too)
• Essential Oils Blend Mini (This too has probably disappeared.)
• Skinny Lip Balm (“It’s an awesome lippy Mama,”my teen said. I took it back)
• “Credit Card” Mints (I’m sure these are still mine)
I think I’m a pretty cool mom, even though I’m not perfect and I’m happy to see a show that depicts motherhood for what it really is. It’s overwhelming, frustrating at times and just plain wonderful. Don’t you think?
Want to win some really cool Better Things swag of your own? Check out the trailers. Come back here and comment about what resonated with you. One random winner will win a big box of swag, including this cool Ray-Ban’s. And, be sure to watch Better Things Thursdays at 10/9c.