Drive to school in slippers? Me? Never.
That’s what I thought many moons ago. Before I had kids. It was pretty high on the list of things that I would NEVER do as a parent. It was a very long list because I was a parenting expert before I had Rosie (not really but I had a ton of opinions on what I would and wouldn’t do). Sitting here 13 1/2 years later, I can tell you that all the things I said I wouldn’t do, I’ve probably done. Here’s my short list (and I may as well start with labor…)
- Have an epidural (The 10 days my water was broken blew that out of the water. I was exhausted and in pain. However, I did wind up delivering naturally)
- Bottle feed (That lasted a week. Rosie couldn’t latch on.)
Now, I’m going to point out that there’s a lot of BS that surrounds parenting decisions. Notice, I’ve given you TWO things I’d never do and I had to justify both. So, for the rest of the list. I won’t. Here they are:
- Sleep with my child.
- Want a glass of wine so badly I’d dump breast milk.
- Pretend I don’t hear the baby monitor.
- Duct tape my baby (you can read all about that here.)
- Wipe a nose with my sleeve.
- Act like I’m going potty for alone time.
- Smile as I drop off at day care and speed away.
- Feed my kid McDonald’s Chicken McNuggets.
- Bite my child back.
- Let my child scream on the floor of Target until she’s worn out.
- Buy crap we don’t need because it’s easier than saying “no.”
- Watch Barney.
- Leave the house without ______ (bathing, make-up, brushing my hair).
- Spit on a napkin and wipe a face.
- Not care that her clothes don’t match.
- Let my child run around naked in an attempt to potty train.
- Forget sunscreen.
- Plant my child in front of the TV for peace and quiet.
- Let her eat dirt. And sand.
- Forget to shower.
As you can see, I haven’t made it out of the toddler years and I’ve did oodles of things I never thought I’d do as a parent. If I had to re-cap the next decade, we’d be here all day. So, let me just say this. I’m not a perfect mom but I’m doing the best I can. Even on days like today, when I find myself doing another thing I never thought I’d do- drive to school in slippers. This parenting thing is hard work.
What did you find yourself doing that you said you’d never do when you had kids?