If you haven't noticed, we're on a fish kick here at the CB home. My latest creation? Swai with Spring Vegetables.
If you're not familiar with Swai it's a white-flesh fish with a sweet mild, taste and light flaky texture. It's totally versatile- you can pan fry, bake, saute or broil this fish and you don't have to do much to it because it tastes great. It's also low in calories, around 100 per filet so it's great if you're watching your weight.
I love Swai because it's cheap (you can buy it frozen in bags at the store) and it's easy to prepare. For this recipe, I brushed the fish with Trader Joe's Tuscan Italian Dressing because it has great flavor and I was being lazy. When cooking, don't forget dressings. They have an oil base which is a great marinade and all the seasonings you'd ever want in the bottle. No need to add anything else except a little salt and pepper.
My veggies? Everything in season right now except asparagus (I plan to cook a fish dish with that next week). I am in love with the small peppers that are hot in the grocery store now. They look great in recipes and taste amazing on salads. If you haven't tried them, add them to your list.
The other thing I'm in love with- the Vegetti Spiral Vegetable Slicer. I laughed when my hubby brought one home, but I use it all the time. I love spaghetti squash and I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I love zucchini noodles. They're delicious and make the perfect bed for this fish. A creative way to use a veggie to plate the dish that tastes great at the same time. What did I put on the zoodles? Absolutely nothing. They taste great just as they are.
- Four Swai Fillets
- Four tbs. Trader Joe's Tuscan Italian Salad dressing
- Two yellow squash, sliced
- Four small orange peppers, sliced
- 20 grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large zucchini
- Put the Swai in a baking dish and brush with salad dressing.
- Place vegetables on top of fish.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- While the fish is cooking, spiral slice the zucchini into noodles.
- Microwave until tender- around 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini to plate, top with fish and vegetables and serve.