It’s been ten days since I was canned. Fired. Told to take a hike. And, it’s been a big adjustment.
Used to working 12 hours a day, I’ve had more than a little free time lately. There’s been an upside to all this idleness- my closets are cleaner, there are fewer tchotchkes around and I’m getting ready to sell three years of Rosie’s clothes at a consignment sale when I may have just tossed them into a bag to donate before when I had no time. But there’s also been a downside.
Nothing to do has left me with more than a little time to challenge my abilities and once again question who I am. And, as I walk through the process with my middle-school daughter and see how painful it is to try and figure it out the first time (yes, I do know we have over a decade of this), I am shocked that in my mid-40’s I still have to continually go through this process. Does there ever come a time when we just figure it all out?
Happily (yes, there is irony there), the answer for me is probably not. I seem to be the kind of person that will never totally figure it all out as I constantly change and evolve. And, since I throw my heart and efforts into everything 110%, I may consistently have to meet challenges head on, face some disappointments and move on. So, I will never have all the answers. However, here is some of what I’ve learned the past year.
- There is incredible power in being a mom. Anyone can give birth, but it takes a lot of consistent effort and patience to be a great mother. I’ve said before that motherhood has defined who I am. I stand by that even more.
- There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who talk “at” you and those who speak “with” you. You should always surround yourself with the latter. They are much more interesting.
- The spirit of amazing women is untouchable. Strong, talented women are predicted to control the majority of the world’s wealth soon. I think I’ve just been privileged to work with some.
- Never doubt your abilities or talents. Especially in your backyard. No one can ever know your market or world better than you.
- You can’t hide behind a hoodie. Just saying.
- Behold the blogger. Master of the universe. If you doubt, you better learn to bow down. The world it is a changing.
- Karma, she’s a bitch.
Well, there you have it. I’m sure the next week will bring more revelations. Stay tuned.