This week, CNN put together a list of the top 28 acronyms that parents need to know. These aren’t the tame BFF, LOL and BRB that we’re used to seeing on our kid’s phones (or listening to them say). These are ones that will take us a little while to decode and once we do, it may be too late- our teens could be in trouble.
Last week, I wrote a blog called Want Nudes talking about sending naked pictures. I was told by one parent on Facebook that “not all kids were doing it” and it was suggested that I blew the entire situation out of proportion. Guess, what? They may not be but many kids are. It’s illegal and it may put them in danger. Period. So, if I scared one parent into checking a phone, I’ve done my job.
About this list. It’s uncomfortable. You may want to pick up your kid’s phone to see if any of these acronyms are in any of their conversations. If so, it’s time to sit down for a chat and it may be time to monitor their texts and social media a little more closely.
1. IWSN – I want sex now
2. GNOC – Get naked on camera
3. NIFOC – Naked in front of computer
4. PIR – Parent in room
5 CU46 – See you for sex
6. 53X – Sex
7. 9 – Parent watching
8. 99 – Parent gone
9. 1174′ – Party meeting place
10. THOT – That hoe over there
11. CID – Acid (the drug)
12. Broken – Hungover from alcohol
13. 420 – Marijuana
14. POS – Parent over shoulder
15. SUGARPIC – Suggestive or erotic photo
16. KOTL – Kiss on the lips
17. (L)MIRL – Let’s meet in real life
18. PRON – Porn
19. TDTM – Talk dirty to me
20. 8 – Oral sex
21. CD9 – Parents around/Code 9
22. IPN – I’m posting naked
23. LH6 – Let’s have sex
24. WTTP – Want to trade pictures?
25. DOC – Drug of choice
26. TWD – Texting while driving
27. GYPO – Get your pants off
28. KPC- Keeping parents clueless
I’m sure there are others they missed. If you know of one, please comment and I’ll add it to the post. Thanks!