Hi there! Summer vacation flew by this year, and we are already getting back into the school routine. My teen came to me a couple of weeks ago, asking if we could come up with some new ideas for lunches. I’ve always fixed lunch for both my girls~ and I’ve been tossing around some lunch ideas for teens in my head for awhile. My teen gets bored with the usual lunch ideas, and she specifically asked for ways to make her school lunches healthier. That was the only excuse I needed (OK, I don’t need an excuse, but it sounds good) to hang out in my kitchen and tinker. I came up with a few wrap ideas. These will only take a few minutes to make in the morning, or the night before. I can sneak in a few extra veggies without complaint. She gets to bring a lunch that isn’t boring. I know she isn’t loading up on junk food. The one she liked the most (so far) is the Turkey Chive Wrap, pictured below.
- 2 9-inch tortillas, any flavor
- 2 ounces onion and chive cream cheese
- 6 ounces turkey lunch meat
- 1 cup torn leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 radishes, shredded (optional, for a little kick)
- Place each tortilla on a plate and spread half the cream cheese on each.
- Divide turkey between tortillas, spreading evenly over the center section of the tortilla. Leave the sides clear to make it easier to roll up.
- Top the turkey with the carrots, lettuce, and radishes.
- Fold in the sides in and roll up, burrito style.
- Cut in half diagonally, then serve, or wrap in plastic wrap and/or aluminum foil to serve later.
- Refrigerate or keep chilled if you are not eating it immediately.
The nice thing about wraps is that it’s easy to come up with different lunch ideas. without spending hours in the kitchen. For example, I baked a batch of Parmesan Chicken Tenders. Then, I came up with some ideas to use them in different ways. With a couple of simple food swaps, you get completely different flavors. For one wrap, I used a tomato-basil wrap, a little pizza sauce, provolone cheese and some fresh basil with the tenders to make a Chicken Basil Parmesan Wrap. Trade out the tortilla for spinach herb, skip the pizza sauce, and add a couple of thin cheddar slices. Add a slice of bacon, some thinly sliced cucumbers, shredded carrots, and leaf lettuce, and you have a Chicken Club Wrap.
I know that my teen will want some different lunch ideas, and I’ve got a few more up my sleeve that I’ll be sharing in the coming posts.
Barbara Gulin is the brains behind Meals by the Week, and she’s a regular contributor to It’s me, DebCB. Take a moment to check out her meal planning site. It’s guaranteed to save you time and money while putting healthy meals on the table for your entire family.